03/07/2014 Where is this bridge? It's 5 (2+1+2) tracks wide & next to a former school. It is likely to have carried considerable coal traffic - anyone got more history?
04/07/2014 Neville Whaler writes: It is bridge no. 4 Wellington Road on the line between Deptford Junction and Lambton Staiths, the extension of the Pallion to Deptford Branch. The adjacent old school is Simpson Street. Between Deptford Junction and bridge 4 there were the up/down lines from the staiths plus five holding sidings on the river side of the running lines. These lines converged just before, and on the bridge itself. Wellington Road formerly went down to Ayre's Quay gas works and some riverside housing. "Smiles" skips and scrapyard now occupy this area. The five holding sidings were used when the staiths lines were full awaiting the wagons being emptied into the ships. Although all the tracks and structures were NER/LNER then BR maintained... the signalbox at Deptford Junction was manned by the Coal co./ NCB on an "as required" basis. After the lines went into two at bridge 4, they then entered a deep stone walled cutting before entering the twin tunnels leading to Lambton Staiths. The lines were abandoned with closure of the staiths in January 1967. [1946 OS map section - bridge is left of centre]
30/06/2014 Where is the branch line on which this overbridge & viaduct lie?
29/11/2016 Richard Hannay correctly answered: The Tees Valley Railway, opened in 1868 from Barnard Castle to Middleton-in-Teesdale (it split off from the Stainmore route between Barnard Castle and Lartington), which was originally going to go to Alston but ended at Middleton-in-Teesdale.
After the split from the Stainmore route, the stations were (in order) Cotherstone, Romaldkirk, Mickleton and Middleton. The viaduct is the Baldersdale Viaduct between Cotherstone and Romaldkirk, the overbridge looks to be on the same stretch (there's another overbridge between Romaldkirk and Middleton before coming to the Lunedale viaduct). Most of the line is a very pleasant pathway.
26/12/2011 James Kell gave a partially correct answer - does anyone have complete and correct answers? Around the same time, Nev gave much more detail.
11/12/2011 Where is this and what traffic did it carry?
17/12/2011 Again, first fully correct answer from Neville Whaler, who also sent the differently angled b&w shot from 1967.
22/12/2011 Eddie Gregg Snr identified 'Hangman's Bridge" crossing the River Don.
It's near Pontop Crossing where the Newcastle to Sunderland line crossed the Stanhope and Tyne route. This bridge last carried Tyne Dock - Consett iron ore and Boldon Colliery coal about 40 years ago. OS ref NZ 349628. More info at Boldon Steam.
17/11/2011 What and where is this?
22/11/2011 First correct answer from Neville Whaler - it's a builders plate on ....... anyone else know?
10/12/2011 Location correctly identified by Owen Edwards and John Earl - it's on the NE end of the High Level Bridge, with the Bridge Hotel on the left.
07/10/2011 No answers yet received. Clues are that the engine was locally built, and the machine behind (there isn't a mirror).
26/10/2011 Still no answers. It's a 2 cylinder simple steam engine driving a 2 cylinder hydraulic pump.
17/11/2011 Noone has attempted to answer this. See http://nwm.org.uk/
20/09/2011 Only and best reply from Chris Allen. This is Blyth Harbour No.2 (connection with Neil Morgan's grandfather), HL 2918 of 1912, was also known as Pony, now called Achilles at Chatham Historic Dockyard. Pony's wheelsets are under HC (1823 of 1949) No. 38 at Marley Hill.
04/08/2011 What are the year and points of interest in this shot?
13/09/2011 George Ridley sent the only answer received for this puzzle about Marley Hill, but he gives as much detail as I know: "It looks like a school party visit, 49 pre restoration possibly 1986 with 21 at Marley Hill station".
18/07/2011 Identify this local bridge.
04/08/2011 Chris Allen was the first person to identify this as a bridge over the former Consett Iron Co line between High Spen and Chopwell, in Chopwell Woods, OS ref NZ 135589. He also referred to a photo of a CIC A tank passing under the bridge - for more details, see blog for 4 August, "Puzzle Corner Solved".
01/07/2011 Where in a local town or city and over which river is this abutment?
18/07/2011 Ian Cowan was the only one who answered this. It is the eastern abutment of a bridge over the Wear, on the former line between Shincliffe and Houghall colliery, about 1.5 miles SE of the centre of Durham, OS ref NZ287407.