Search

Wednesday 22 April 2020

Where's this?

I wrongly thought this bridge had been infilled.   It has been widened for road traffic.
Where is it, who built it originally, & what was its purpose?

If you don't know, the next couple of photos are clues - but don't look unless you need to .....

On the side leading up to the bridge, there is a large open area
This strongly reminds me of Leith, although that was a huge complex
Further back, there is a sweeping curve & a landmark clue
Hopefully Alan will have some historic railway photos on the line .....

PS  I'd welcome interesting blog post ideas with a few photos & text.

7 comments:

Matt Ditch said...

Line to North Dock, Sunderland? Fulwell Mill in the background

Derek said...

Right first time, Matt. And it's another late 1830s Brandling branch. I'd like to see some photos of the Wear side of the bridge, to see how the high level was used, or the line descended to the river.

Matt Ditch said...

I've often wondered that to!

Jeff Atkinson said...

There used to be a rope hauled incline with an engine house at the top. It was used occasionally in the 50s to bring timber products from a woodyard in the North Dock, which used rail mounted steam cranes until closure in I believe the 70s. Jeff Atkinson

Derek said...

Jeff - thanks for the info. I recall the woodyard with steam cranes, which I passed in the 60s, 70s & possibly 80s. I've had a similar report of an incline & winding engine, & OS maps show an older incline under another bridge which seems out of use before the 60s.

Matt Ditch said...

This video on the woodyard is well worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igMlu89fDLc

Derek said...

Matt - thanks for the excellent YouTube link - I've edited the next post "Sunderland North Dock & Railway" to include it.