Did you know?   Marley Hill Colliery opened & closed twice, so we have two railways at Marley Hill.   From the early 1700s until closure in 1815 the Tanfield Waggonway conveyed its coal.   Reopened in 1841 & closed in 1983, the Bowes Railway carried its produce.

Sunday, 4 August 2019

Around Tanfield Railway Today

No.2 heading out from Marley Hill with  empty stock .....
(photo courtesy of John Turnock)
..... with Richard on the regulator
Heading for Sunniside through the greenery at Bowes Bridge
(photo courtesy of John Turnock)
Richard & Guy exchanging tokens on the return
Harvey shovelling coal to help the crew
Jim & Ian checking purlin requirements at MH shed
Jonny filing Horden's regulator swan neck to steam pipe bracket
Kyle & Andrew investigating a carriage panel
Susan showing a visitor around the Graft & Glory exhibition at East Tanfield
Sonia washing up in Tommy Armstrong's .....
..... while Martin prepares toasted sandwiches
No.2 at the foot of Causey West Incline .....
(photo courtesy of John Turnock)
..... & arriving at Andrews House (with Antony firing)
Jonny smearing red Stag on the flange & gasket of Horden's steam pipe to front tube plate joint
Ben pushing the steam pipe into Horden's boiler
Alex & Peter locating the steam pipe at the dome end
Rhys painting Horden's boiler
Alex polishing Horden's smokebox door handles
Andrew & Kyle dismantling the roof of NER 456
Ian checking sheeting requirements for MH shed roof
No.2 returns to Marley Hill with the empty stock, with Chris driving
While putting the carriages away, Dan signals .....
..... to Peter on No.2

No comments: