|Sir William Crossley 1844-1911|
William was the younger brother of Francis, born in Ireland in early Victorian times. They served apprenticeships in Newcastle at Armstrongs & Stephensons respectively. The brothers developed a business pioneering internal combustion engines, based in Manchester. The brothers were Christian teetotal philanthropists.
|Francis Crossley 1839-1897|
Crossley marine engines became well thought of, as were their stationary engines. Road vehicles from Crossley Motors of the earlier 20th century are still around. From the late 1930s, in response to contracting markets & increased global competition, the newly formed Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns worked with Crossley engines. At Tanfield, we have two of their products from the 1950s, Beryl & Bromborough No.2, which are featured on Facebook today.
A story on prestwich.org.uk about Bromborough No.2 at Agecroft power station:
"In 1961, in anticipation of a reduced workload, a diesel locomotive (a Stephenson & Hawthorns 0-6-0, 7746 of 1954) was brought by low loader from Bromborough Power Station. The locomotive was fitted with a Crossley direct reversing six cylinder scavenge pump diesel engine, better suited to trip working locomotives than shunters. Operations involving shunting backwards and forwards were very time consuming with this type of engine. At each change of direction the engine had to be shut off involving laborious starting and direction changing procedures. Having been found unsuitable for the work at Agecroft the diesel was transferred to Whitebirk Power Station at Blackburn in July 1963."
|Crossley 2 stroke reversing marine diesel engine, similar to those in the TR RSH locos|